If you are an animal lover like me, you always want to do what’s best for your furry family members. Sharing our food with them is one of the most common occurrences, but did you ever wonder what might not be so good for a dog to consume? Here’s 15 things you should NOT feed your dog!
~ Chocolate ~ There is a chemical in chocolate called Theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. The levels of it in chocolate vary by the type of chocolate, but it could potentially be toxic to your dog. So to be safe, don’t feed him or her ANY chocolate.
~ Grapes and raisins ~ There is no scientific evidence on WHY they are toxic to dogs, but they can be even in the smallest doses!
~ Avocados ~ There is a substance in them called Persin and it makes dogs sick. Each dog reacts differently to it so its best to keep it out of their diet!
~ Onions ~ When ingested in large doses it can be toxic to dogs because it damages their red blood cells. Any form of onion can be harmful to a dog (including onion powder!).
~ Moldy Food ~ When throwing out moldy food be careful to put it out of reach of your dog, it can be poisonous to your pet!
~ Salt ~ Too much salt can be dangerous for your doggie, so keep salty foods down to a minimum when sharing.
~ Dairy ~ Most dogs are allergic to it and some may be completely lactose intolerant. If your dog has diarrhea or is vomiting after consuming dairy, he/she probably has the allergy, so steer clear.
~ Meat Bones ~ Chicken and Turkey bones are very brittle! They can break and your dog can choke on them, or they could cause issues in their mouths, stomach or intestines.
~ Garlic ~ In larger doses, or over time with smaller doses, it can damage a dogs red blood cells. Best to just avoid it altogether!
~ Yeast ~ Live yeast can cause major issues. The stomach is a warm wet area and the live yeast can expand, causing the stomach to expand and possibly cutting off the blood supply.
~ Macadamia Nuts ~ There is no evidence as to WHY they are poisonous to dogs, but they are, even in small doses.
~ Alcohol ~ It can cause major damage quickly to a dog, including the nervous system and respiratory system. It effects dogs much more quickly than humans, so even the smallest amounts can cause issues!!
~ Peaches ~ It’s Not necessarily the fruit that is toxic to a dog, but the pit. It contains cyanide which could be fatal if ingested. Your dog can also choke on the pit. So don’t give your dog a whole peach to chew on!
~ Gum ~ It contains Xylitol (a sweetener) which can cause your dogs pancreas to release insulin and cause liver problems. All gum can also cause blockage in the intestines.
~ Raw Eggs ~ It can subject them to E. Coli and Salmonella. It also contains Avidin (an enzyme) which can cause skin and coat problems in your dog!
If you live in St Augustine and need someone to watch your pets while you are away, I highly recommend Sit Pretty Pet Sitting. The owners are pet-loving, caring people who make your dogs health and happiness top priority!